29 Faces - 9 and 10

My two eldest wanted me to do them a face in the oil pastels. I have a bunch of Strathmore Trading Cards which I experiment backgrounds on - so I thought I'd try a couple of faces on those. 

These backgrounds (forgot to take starting pictures) were where I had dropped wet drawing ink onto water soaked cards. This first one you can just make out where I have also used it to scrape acrylic paint on another project - all adds to a background effect right?
Whoopidooings: Carmen Wing - Green Haired Girl ATC/ACEO
Whoopidooings: Carmen Wing - Red Haired Girl ATC/ACEO

This time I just did a layer of Matte Medium over the background before I started in with the oil pastels - I was being stingy as my clear Gesso is running on empty. This is where I am loving the learning curve that is 29 Faces. I definitely prefer using the oil pastels over sanded down Gesso. I couldn't control it very well at all over the Matte Medium. It wouldn't blend so well for me - just kept moving the underneath layers around. I suppose it has a better tooth to hang on to with the Gesso. 

I also didn't do a base coat of Gouache this time - and you can see the background coming through the faces a lot more. Like I say - steep learning curve. But loving it.

Just as a quick aside - Craig's Mum won the Strathmore Trading Card blanks on their Facebook page ages ago. She gave them to me. I have thrown everything at them: Water, watercolours, acrylics, spritzes, mixed media... and now oil pastels. They take some hammering. If you want to buy some pre-cut ATC/ACEO blanks you wouldn't go far wrong picking up a set of these to play with - if I remember rightly, they come with little envelopes too. I will be buying them again. And no, I am not being coerced/bribed/ paid to say that - just like to pass on info when I like a product. 


Thanks for stopping by today :)

10 comments:

  1. Wow these are fab, i love your backgrounds and the faces are brilliant. I have one wee set of very cheap oil pastels and I just couldnt get on with them - they dont seem to want to smudge or blend.

    What make did you use Carmen (hoping its not ones that are way too expensive lol)

    Suzy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your art is really art Carmen..it's such a pleasure seeing how your stuff evolves.
    I like the background coming through,

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are fantastic! So bright and colourful! I love oil pastels but I'm just no good with them. You make it look easy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reading about your experimentation is really interesting. Your 2 faces today are fab and I agree with Julia, I like the background showing through :)

    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving these faces! I think the background coming through adds to the art.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two very interesting and attractive faces. I like the way the background shows through on the faces. I also like the backgrounds, so I shall have a go with dropping the ink on wet wet wet paper. Thank you for the idea. Might take a while, as my mind is teeming with ideas at the moment. I must get down to writing them down before I forget them. Yes, 29 Faces is challenging but fun, and I love visiting to see yours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are great, despite the uncooperative pastels atop the medium. Live-n-learn! And I've seen those ACEO blanks and have wondered about them ~ it nice to know ~ thanks for sharing your experience with them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think they are both beautiful. I also appreciate you giving how you did it and what worked and what didn't. I'm still learning, and things like that help so much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great faces! I really like your style and colors.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Isn't the discovering quite exciting. You know you are growing and exploring. Love these. What are you sealing them with?

    ReplyDelete

Of all the blogs in all the towns, in all of cyber space, you landed on mine...

"Say your right words" the goblins said...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...